You are here:Travel Tibet Guide > Home > Travel Tips > Tibet Permits

Tibet Permits

Tibet is part of China, under the Chinese Central Government's Sovereignty. Thus to travel to Tibet, you have to obtain a China Visa at first stage before all are followed up.

You can get the China Visa in the China Embassy close to you. And the China visa can be divided in to a few kinds, but here we mainly talk about the "L" kind which means travel visa. There are single entry visa, multiple entry visa, and group visa at present. But to be equal, the tourists from US can hardly apply for a group visa or a multiple visa in the same way that USA treats Chinese people. But even in China land such as in Hong Kong or Macau (where you do not have to have a China visa), supposed you will come to mainland of China, or you have a China visa but you come to Hong Kong or Macau from mainland China and now you want to come back to mainland China, you have to a China visa issued or issue a second time entry China Visa.; and the second special thing is that when you come to China via Nepal (Kathmandu) and come to Tibet, you have to have the China visa issued in Kathmandu no matter if you already have it or not. This is the agreement between China and Nepal.

To obtain China visa is the way to Tibet and to go to Tibet is you main purpose, perhaps. So there is a trick to obtain the China visa which can help you to obtain China visa faster, if your final destination is Tibet. The trick is that when you apply for China visa with a China Embassy(China Embassy in Kathmendu is the exceptional) you can just put Tibet Travel aside, and you can get China visa quicker, however, you will have to obtain Tibet permit before China visa if you mention Tibet Travel in the application form. And as usual, the Tibet permit can be issued within 30 days or 20 day if it is high season in Tibet. Only in the cases like the following, you must have Tibet in the application form.

a) .if your travel is only Tibet (no stop in mainland, say entry in to Tibet from Kathandmu and then come back to Kathamdu after Tibet travel)
b) you worry about the expense. You do not want to visit other places but Tibet only. If you are refused to go to Tibet, you do not like to come to China.

Tibet Entry Permit (TTB)

Tibet Entry Permit (TTB) are necessary for entry to Lhasa or any other part of the Tibetan Autonomous Region, and are obtained through tour operators as part of arrangements for travel; A T.T.B. permit does not obviate the need for an Aliens' Travel Permit for any closed areas that may be visited. But you can get them easily from click here for Tibet Entry Permit details »

Alien's Travel Permits (PSB)

These are required to visit closed areas - much of the Tibetan Autonomous Region outside the Lhasa prefecture-level district, and scattered counties elsewhere. They are usually only obtainable through tour operators, for tours by four-wheel-drive car.

Permits to visit places that are not declared open are known as Alien's Travel Permits, or PSB. They are issued by the police (Public Security Bureau, "PSB"). A single permit is normally issued to all the people who are traveling together, the permit naming just one of them and stating how many others are accompanying him; the passports, or at least photocopies of passports and visas, of all persons traveling must be presented in order to obtain a permit. click here for Alien's Travel Permits details »

Chinese Visa

Firstly, please be noted that Chinese visa and Tibet permit is two things totally different.

To enter Tibet, or any part of China excepting Hong Kong and Macao (Visitors to Hong Kong, holding passports from the some countries DO NOT need a visa when staying for a specified free period), a Chinese visa is necessary. It may be best to obtain it before leaving your home country unless you are taking a package tour to enter Tibet overland from Nepal.

The first rule when applying for a visa as an independent traveler is to expect that you will be refused a visa if you mention plans to visit Tibet. There is a trick that when you apply for the Chinese visa, you can't tell the officer that you have the plan for traveling to Tibet; you can only inform them you want to travel to somewhere else of China. Or else the application would become complicated and arduous. click here for Chinese Visa details »

For going to more remote area,you need more permits. For example, if you travel overland (from mainland China) to Tibet, besides the documents stated above, you still need the Military Allowance.

Can you tell me more?

We try to give you as much information as we can to help you choose the service you need, though if you still have more questions please feel free to look at our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us directly and we will be happy to help.

Our company offices:

Lhasa Head/Operation Office
European & American Dept. of TCITS
64 Beijing Zhong Rd.
Lhasa 850001

Chengdu Branch/Sales Office
Rm.178-188, 4/F, Yuanheng
Trading Building
235 Shuhan Rd.
Chengdu 610036
TEL: +86-28-8756-5920
FAX: +86-28-8756-2424
Office Hours: GMT(+08:00) 9:00
-18:00 Monday-Saturday

Client Testimonials

"Tailored our itinerary to exactly the trip we wanted. Worked with us during the turmoil in Nepal, so we could plan accordingly. (We didn't cancel our plans to travel to Nepal, while many we met on our trip did, and we had a great time there.) Responded quickly and professionally to all my e-mails and phone calls..."

Richard and Colleen Kremer, USA

"The whole trip was excellent. I really had a wonderful time and it was an unforgettable experience. Too be honest I never expected the hotels to be so comfortable. So accommodation was good. My guide Yulla was wonderful, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and a very nice guide to have. I was in really good hands..."

Jannie Walschot, Netherlands

"Thanks Daniel. Was excellent trip!! Jim was great guide!! I will recommend your company to my friends."

John R Donarski, USA

"Thank you for the belated birthday wish. We had a very pleasant trip to Tibet through your company. The guide (Jim) was a good guy and knowledgeable about the places we visited. I would definitely recommend your services to anyone I hear who is traveling to Tibet. "

Mark Nolan R.Ph, USA

"The trip to Tibet was great! Thanks for the help in organizing. The driver was very safe and our guide was very nice and knowledgable. We would definately use your service again. Thanks!"

Stark,Craig Garrett, USA

"Nice to hear from you. I have reached Xiamen in good order, although a little delay at the Shenzhen Airport. Today it is hard to get back to work after so many impressions."

Willem, German

We are an official member of ASTA
Are you planning a Tibet trip?
Are you planning a trip to Tibet? Contacting a local travel agency directly could be your best choice,because in this way you will get better service with lower prices! We are here to be at your service!
Do not hesitate to leave us a message by filling an online form. We will help you design a perfect Tibet tour.
Live Chat     Email     Print     Bookmark & Share